Fauci-Funded Chinese/US Research Led to COVID-19
- September 17, 2020
- / Dr. Peter Breggin
- / blogs,blog,COVID-19,Global_Predators,Fauci,Peter_Breggin,Ginger_Breggin,China,totalitarianism
All Suspicions Confirmed
The Chinese government now has the unlimited ability
to keep manufacturing pandemic viruses
By Peter R. Breggin MD and Ginger Breggin
September, 18, 2020
Four scientists, led by Li-Meng Yan (MD, PhD), who recently escaped from Communist China, have released a pre-publication paper (follow the paper's progress here) in which they confirm the direct relationship between the Fauci-funded research and China’s ability to create SARS-CoV-2.
Although the scientists do not name him, their work shows that research funded and politically supported by Dr. Anthony Fauci, the Director of NIH’s Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, led directly to the ability of the Chinese to engineer SARS-CoV-2 and to causing the COVID-19 pandemic. For many years, Fauci paid for and encouraged multiple research projects, at least two involving US researchers collaborating in making deadly viruses with China’s notoriously insecure Communist-run biowarfare facility in Wuhan.
They also confirm that the military-controlled Wuhan Institute now has the world’s largest collection of coronaviruses extracted from bats—which constitutes a threat of further accidental releases and/or outright biological warfare. By supporting Wuhan and its researchers, Fauci helped put the entire world at risk for the current pandemic and for future ones.
We first published about Fauci’s dangerous activities on April 15, 2020 when we issued a report and released our video confirming that he and his institute were funding collaborative research between Chinese and US scientists on manipulating SARS coronaviruses. We suggested that this work potentially led to the laboratory creation of SARS-CoV-2 and the pandemic. Please see our Coronavirus Resource Center for additional analyses and background material.
Within 48 hours of our report about Fauci’s funding joint American/Chinese projects to create epidemic viruses, President Donald Trump cancelled funding for the heinous project. Unfortunately, Fauci remains Director of the Institute, despite being a Chinese collaborator and now scientific leader of pro-lockdown political forces that are dismantling our economy and suppressing our individual lives.
Understanding Dr. Yan’s New Scientific Paper
The term RBM refers to receptor-binding motif—the part of the virus that hooks to a receptor in human cells to allow the virus to enter the cell to cause disease. RBM is the part of SARS-CoV-2 that makes it so infectious and potentially deadly to humans. The first paragraph in the quote from Dr. Yan’s scientific article (below) summarizes the basic finding of their research paper that the RBM of SARS-CoV-2 did not originate in nature. The paragraph then cites research (their citations 44-47, see details in the Additional Notes below) to indicate that this Spike protein (the RBM) has “repeatedly” been used in laboratories to create “human-infecting” coronaviruses of non-human origin. Two papers (citations 45 and 46; Menarchery et al., 2015 and Menarchery et al, 2016) involve direct Chinese/American collaborations on building epidemic viruses. Those two papers involved US/Wuhan Institute collaborations with acknowledgements that funding for the research was provided by Fauci’s Institute.
The second paragraph in the quote from Dr. Yan’s scientific article (below) states that the Wuhan Institute of Virology has been working on studies to make these “human-infecting viruses” and specifically cites the paper that originally disclosed to us this tragic Fauci-funded US/China collaboration that led to COVID-19 (Menachery et al., 2015).
The Yan et al. paper then warns that the Wuhan Institute possesses “the world’s largest collection of coronaviruses.” It follows this with a chilling observation that there is no longer any “technical barrier” to the Chinese altering these viruses into infectious ones through “engineering” the virus to give it “gain-of-function,” that is, the ability to infect humans. This means that the Chinese have at their scientific fingertips the unlimited ability to keep manufacturing pandemic viruses.
Here are the paragraphs from the Yan et al. scientific publication that we have been interpreting:
While the above evidence and analyses together appear to disapprove a natural origin of SARS-CoV-2's RBM, abundant literature shows that gain-of-function research, where the Spike protein of a coronavirus was specifically engineered, has repeatedly led to the successful generation of human-infecting coronaviruses from coronaviruses of non-human origin.44-47
Record also shows that research laboratories, for example, the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), have successfully carried out such studies working with US researchers45 and also working alone47. In addition, the WIV has engaged in decades-long coronavirus surveillance studies and therefore owns the world's largest collection of coronaviruses. Evidently, the technical barrier is non-existent for the WIV and other related laboratories to carry out and succeed in such Spike/REM engineering and gain-of-function research. P. 10
Fauci’s Self-Serving Misdirection on the Cause of COVID-19
In a recent “scientific” article in Cell authored with one of his assistants, Fauci directly lied, claiming that the COVID-19 emerged from nature on its own and not from laboratory tinkering.
Then he did more than ignore his own role in funding the engineering of coronaviruses with China, he blamed us—you and me, humanity—for causing the virus by disrupting nature:
Infectious diseases prevalent in humans and animals are caused by pathogens that once emerged from other animal hosts. In addition to these established infections, new infectious diseases periodically emerge. In extreme cases they may cause pandemics such as COVID-19… Disease emergence reflects dynamic balances and imbalances, within complex globally distributed ecosystems comprising humans, animals, pathogens, and the environment. Understanding these variables is a necessary step in controlling future devastating disease emergences.
This may be one of the most colossal misrepresentations in the history of the human race—the man most responsible for enabling the Chinese to engineer SARS-Cov-2 in their Wuhan Institute is blaming COVID-19 on humanity’s indiscretions in nature instead of his own nefarious activities in the laboratory. Working with China, Fauci himself has funded and promoted taking viruses out of nature and engineering them to become pandemic viruses; but now he wants us to take his advice on transforming human activity in nature to make it less disruptive! Fauci is the Great Disruptor, whose work enabled China to unleash COVID-19 on the world.
Time for Us to Act
President Trump and the US Congress, as well as the American people, need to know that Anthony Fauci funded research that unleashed COVID-19 upon the world. In addition, this Fauci-funding has enabled China to possess the largest store of coronaviruses in the world, along with the technology to continue turning them into human-infecting agents. It is time to fire Fauci, to investigate this entire disaster, and to consider what needs to be done to protect the US and the world from future Communist Chinese pandemics, whether accidental or intentional.
Additional Notes on the four articles cited by Yan et al. (references 44-47) as key to China’s coronavirus research
(1) Becker, M.M. (2008). et al. Synthetic recombinant bat SARS-like coronavirus is infectious in cultured cells and in mice. Proc Natl A cad Sci US A 105, 19944-9 (2008). US authors. Acknowledgements show funding by Fauci’s Institute.
(2) Menachery, V.D. et al. (2015). A SARS-like cluster of circulating bat coronaviruses shows potential for human emergence. Nat Med 21, 1508-13 (2015). American, Chinese (two) and Swiss authors. Funding from Fauci’s Institute and from China. The Menachery et al. 2015 paper has two Chinese coauthors Xing-Yi and Zhengli-Li Shi both of whom identify themselves as from the “Key Laboratory of Special Pathogens and Biosafety, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China.” The Acknowledgements at the end of the paper report: “Research in this manuscript was supported by grants from the National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Disease and the National Institute of Aging of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) under awards U19AI109761 (R.S.B.), U19AI107810 (R.S.B.), AI085524 (W.A.M.), F32AI102561 (V.D.M.) and K99AG049092 (V.D.M.), and by the National Natural Science Foundation of China awards 81290341 (Z.-L.S.) and 31470260 (X.-Y.G.), and by USAID-EPT-PREDICT funding from EcoHealth Alliance (Z.-L.S.).”
(3) Menachery, V.D. et al. (2016). SARS-like WIVl -CoV poised for human emergence. Proc Natl Acad Sci US A 113, 3048-53 (2016). America authors, funding from Fauci’s Institute. The Menachery et al. 2016 paper has no Chinese scientists or Chinese funding listed, but there is an acknowledgement of the contributions by a Chinese scientist and the Wuhan Institute and NIH funding sources including Fauci’s Institute for Allergy and Infection diseases:
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS. We thank Dr. Zhengli-Li Shi of the Wuhan Institute of Virology for access to bat CoV sequences and plasmid of WIV1-CoV spike protein. Research was supported by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease and the National Institute of Aging of the NIH under Awards U19AI109761 and U19AI107810 (to R.S.B.), AI1085524 (to W.A.M.), and F32AI102561 and K99AG049092 (to V.D.M.). Human airway epithelial cell cultures were supported by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease under Award NIH DK065988 (to S.H.R.). Support for the generation of the mice expressing human ACE2 was provided by NIH Grants AI076159 and AI079521 (to A.C.S.). p.3053 (bold added)
Dr. Zhengli-Li Shi, who provided critical material for Menachery et al. 2016, was a coauthor of Menachery et al. 2015, confirming the close relationship between the American and Chinese researchers.
(4) Ren, W. et al. (2008). Difference in receptor usage between severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) coronavirus and SARS-like coronavirus of bat origin. J Viral 82, 1899-907 (2008). The authors are mainly from Wuhan Institute and elsewhere in China and also Australia. The main funding is from China, with additional funding from Australia. This is the only key resource for coronavirus development of the four cited by Yan et al. that was not conducted by Americans and not funded by Fauci’s Institute.